Tuesday 15 September 2015

I'm Lycan It

"Once more into the fray,
Into the last good fight I'll ever know,
Live and die on this day,
Live and die on this day."

Forge World Skin Wolf
"What I do have are a very particular set of skills..."

Continuing my theme of 'things I wanted, and needed the excuse to buy' - Forge World Skin Wolves!

These will be the Monstrous Infantry part of my Chaos Beast army - until their actual warscrolls come out, they could be proxies for Minotaurs or Trolls (although to really mix things up, I reckon the Crypt Ghoul warscroll is the best fit).

To wind it back to 8th Edition, their Storm of Chaos rules are pretty tasty, although I'd have to accomodate the bigger bases - there isn't a chance in hell they'd fit onto a 40mm round (they barely fit on the 40mm square), so I popped these guys onto 50mm rounds.

Forge World Skin Wolf
Forge World actually supplied them with 60mm rounds, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway, they're lovely models that went together pretty well (although I'm still not a fan of all the hacking and clipping required to remove the sprue bits and flash - the price you pay for resin, I suppose).

Painting them wasn't too bad, given that they're mostly animal (with a modesty-protecting loincloth added). My intention was to try and tone down the 'torn-away' skin so it blended with the grey flesh beneath.

  • Grey flesh; Dawnstone base, Nuln Oil wash, Space Wolf Grey drybrush, White Scar drybrush
  • Torn skin: Cadian Fleshtone base, Nuln Oil wash, Kislev Flesh drybrush, Dawnstone drybrush
  • Fur: Dawnstone base, Black Ink wash, Space Wolf Grey drybrush, Zendri Dust drybrush
  • Loincloth: Zendri Dust base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Ushabi Bone drybrush
  • Belt and cuffs: Leadbelcher base, thinned-Black Ink wash, Ironbreaker drybrush, Tinny Tin highlights
  • Tongue: Emperor's Children base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Blood for the Blood God: bloody right.


Forge World Skin Wolf
Placed second at Crufts
(points were deducted for eating one of the judges)

Despite the plethora of werewolf models out there, these are the first ones that really caught my eye. I think television and movies similarly struggle to achieve convincing werewolves - vampires seem much easier, I guess because all you need is a light foundation, false teeth and evening wear.

With these, the conceit of the previous owner's skin hanging off them is a nice character touch - and I think the fluff on these ones implies they know about their curse, hence the wrist and waist manacles (rather than have them wear torn-up 'hulk pants').

Forge World Skin Wolf
"Ohh... they're just like Jacob!"
(Mrs Stylus knows how to kill my hobby in one sentence)

Unlike the patchy snow on my Cockatrice (not sure why I was so frugal with the Baking Powder there), I went to town on these bases, giving myself a nice canvas to flick blood over. I still haven't got the hang of how to properly flick my paint-soaked toothbrush, but enough spatters ended up on the base.

Forge World Skin Wolves
A couple of pedigree chums.

I've got a couple more to go before the pack is finished, but I'll just take these for a walk around the block.

4 comments:

  1. Forge World! If I had a magic space rocket, that's where I'd move my whole family. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Forge World. They currently have a special offer where postage is free if you spend £100+.

      Much willpower was deployed in the purchasing of this set.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You can still get them on the Forge World website.

      Delete