Friday 11 March 2016

How Now, Brown Tau?

I knew I kept that pot of Tau Light Ochre for a reason.



Almost two years since I last set brush to anything from this codex, but here I am, back again, slapping the ochre on. Weirdly, I felt an odd sense of homecoming, which says something vastly disturbing about my mental health.



This is a squad of Tau squaddies, more or less, a cadre of Fire Warriors. And definitely not ashigaru spearmen, I mean, look at those helmets. Totally different.

Image result for ashigaru spearman
I know, right?

Traditional colours for a traditional army. It's all guns, tanks and anime mechs, and there's about a hundred of them to paint and assemble. Wonder if I'll still secretly be missing Tau Light Ochre after all that?


Quite nice to still be doing some 40k stuff, mind. These guys are much smaller and fiddlier than marines are, just in terms of stature apart from anything else. The lenses were worse than painting eyes, for example, really tiny.


Blue flesh because it's a nice contrast, although I was tempted to do them with bright green, like the aliens they are. This unit represents almost all the infantry in this commission, though, so I won't get to experiment much.


Red plasma grenades - I could do better, the blending didn't work out so well and the idea of red glowing stuff isn't quite there. But I will come back to that on some of the other models.


Painting Guide:


  • Armour - XV88, Agrax Earthshade wash, Tau Light Ochre layers, Tyrant Skull drybrush
  • Guns - as above, but without the TLO layer, just a swipe of Dryad Bark instead
  • Unitard - Deathworld Green, Agrax again, Camo Green drybrush
  • Black - Abaddon with a light layer of Codex Grey, Tau Light Ochre
  • Gold - Balthasar Gold, Agrax, Tau Light Ochre, Auric Armour Gold
  • Bases - Sand, Agrax Earthshade, Light Tau Ochre
  • Flesh - Tecis Blue, Skink Blue drybrush, Ochre Tau highlights
  • Reds - Tau Light Ochre
  • Tau Light Ochre - Tau Light Ochre
  • Ochre Ochre Ochre - Oi Oi Oi


Sergeant Hightauer

Back to the Beastmen next!



No comments:

Post a Comment