Tuesday 28 June 2016

The March of Progress

So who's got two thumbs and had some miniatures displayed in the GW Official Flickr Photo Pool yesterday?

Image result for two thumbs this guy
I do actually wear polonecks sometimes. 

The photos aren't near the top of the feed, you'll have to scroll through a bit. There's a good selection in there though, Beastmen, Tau and Chaos, all stuff previously seen on here.

By way of celebration (and I really was chuffed! I mean, it wasn't official endorsement on the level of being on the store blog page or anything, but it still meant a lot to this middle-aged nerd), I thought I would display some very special miniature.

Yes, just under thirty years ago, I painted these beauties.


Armed only with Humbrol Enamel paints, paints so pathetically primitive and simplistic they only had one name that just told you what colour they were, I made my first ventures into miniature painting.

Of course it was Heroquest! A twelfth birthday present. Unmatched to this day, and I'm very glad to be playing it again.

We don't need no steenking undercoats, we're already the right colour underneath

To be honest, I'm not really sure my brushwork is any more accurate these days. Yes, I spend more time on details, shading, etc, so the overall effect is perhaps a little finer? But if you ever see my models at basecoat stage, they're not really any neater than these Golden Demons.


Ah, it takes me back, though! The gloopy consistency of enamel, the smell of white spirits, the rotting brush tips! #timesweregoodandsimplerbeforebrexit

No comments:

Post a Comment