Tuesday 12 December 2017

Merry Christmas, Darkling

Another Nice List assignment, and my third attempt at pale skin.

Darkling Coven Sorceress for Warhammer Age of Sigmar
Oh mercy, this flatters no-one.

I feel like Santa is grading me on a curve.

Yes, it's the Darkling Aelf Sorceress; and yes, it's the most generic paint job possible. My first draft had her with blonde hair and ice-blue robes, but it was reminding me of someone else, so I had to Let It Go.

Darkling Coven Sorceress for Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Aside from a wash n' drybrush for the gold bikini (from our 1983 Hutt Collection), most of the big stuff was painted with layers, in my belated attempted to achieve competence with a technique everyone else seems to have been using for years.

I can't actually tell if the effects are better or worse that drybrushing, but it does cut down on the drying time, and when time is of the essence, that counts for a bit.

Darkling Coven Sorceress for Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Recipe as follows:
  • Skin: Rakarth Flesh base, Pallid Wych Flesh layers (thinned)
  • Hair: Chais Black base, Skavenblight Dinge layer, Mechanicus Standard Grey layer
  • Loincloths: Naggaroth Night base, Genestealer Purple layers, Drucii Violet wash
  • Boots: Skavenblight Dinge base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Staff: Sotek Green base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Hand Glow: Lothern Blue base, White Scar highlights
Darkling Coven Sorceress for Warhammer Age of Sigmar

I think the skin is the best so far from my past three attempts, although I probably over-reached with the 'hand-glow' lighting effect, which looks more like finger-painting.

But it was a pretty quick model to bash out, and it's one I've wanted to add to the collection for ages, so thanks Santa!

No comments:

Post a Comment